Rules

- When it's your turn, choose a book and announce it to the club
- Only choose books with 1,000 pages or less
- Freely post about the book during the two period
- And then it's on to the next one...

What's the point? Just have fun. Broaden horizons. Read and dare yourself to think outside of your box.

Book Club Members (In order of birthday month and book selection)

  • Jailyn
  • Candace
  • Christopher
  • Krystle
  • Nicole
  • Raquel

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Enlightenment

I am not a big fan of self-help books or actors turned motivational speakers, but I have to say I am more impressed than I thought I would be. I'm impressed to know that Hill Harper is not just an actor, but he is an intelligent, educated man. I feel that judging a book by it's author is important sometimes. While the book itself is not about the author he does share some real-life experiences that make the book more personal, and it helps to know that he seems to know what he is talking about.

I like this book so far because it is a book filled with common sense that we chose to ignore at times. It brings to light the ignorant fears we have and makes us address them. I think that the book for me has done what it was intended to do and that start the conversation (which I've had plenty of since I started this book). I love the interaction that he includes in the book, it helps create a dynamic that gives a somewhat panoramic view of prevalent situations we sometimes face.

I wish he would have described more about the people who were talking, so I could feel like I knew them better. So I could judge whether or not they were justified in their beliefs. And I'd hoped for more dialog between men and women and not just separated conversations. I think it would have helped in continuing the conversation had he created a forum for that type of interaction. Also I wish it could be more diverse...sometimes the responses seem staged and too cliche.

Since I am only almost done...I will give my final synopsis then, but so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment