Rules

- When it's your turn, choose a book and announce it to the club
- Only choose books with 1,000 pages or less
- Freely post about the book during the two period
- And then it's on to the next one...

What's the point? Just have fun. Broaden horizons. Read and dare yourself to think outside of your box.

Book Club Members (In order of birthday month and book selection)

  • Jailyn
  • Candace
  • Christopher
  • Krystle
  • Nicole
  • Raquel

Monday, June 21, 2010

I believe Hill Harper did a good job with this book. I enjoyed the real life experiences as well, but the best part to me was the contribution of the individuals. I liked the fact that he did not just write what he thought on this subject alone, but he did his research as well. I do believe that the black family is in danger and the reason is because we do not communicate effectively. Everyone wants to talk and express how they feel but no one wants to listen. I would love to say it's all the men's fault for this, but woman play an essential part as well. I honestly believe that if black men and women learn to communicate effectively and not run to the door at the first sign of trouble or pain we can resurrect how a strong black family should be like. Which is a two parent home that has a strong foundation that is built not only on love but, friendship, trust, honesty, and most of all God. That way we can lead by example to the generations that come after us. Hill Harper made a very valid point and that was if we talk to our elders who have proven to have that strong loving relationship and that has traveled down the road we plan on or is traveling then we will gain a lot of wisdom. I say we need to change those stats with our generation but that would take a strong commitment from both the black males and black females, what do you guys think? Is it possible?

Overall, I think this was a good book, good job J!

No comments:

Post a Comment